Tuesday, February 4, 2014

"The Awakening": Introduction

Hey, y'all!

Welcome to my new literary project, "Discovering Kate Chopin's The Awakening.


The title is a pretty good clue to the nature of this project. Each week, I will be reading a section of Kate Chopin's The Awakening and posting my thoughts here. For the first four weeks of this project, every post will be divided into four sections: 


1. Summary 


Here, I'll summarize what happened in the section for each week's reading. This will focus entirely on plot! *SPOILER WARNING* If you are not reading the book along with me, know that I WILL be posting some spoilers! Of course, I recommend that everyone on the face of the earth reads this book, but if you aren't going to, don't be mad at me if I spoil major plot points. You have been warned!

2. Major Characters


In this section, I will introduce and discuss major characters. I will examine any character development as the novel goes on, and we'll look at the relationships between characters here. 

3. Themes and Devices


As the novel develops, I will be taking a look at major themes and devices that Kate Chopin uses to underline her major points. This is where the meat of our literary analysis will take place!

And, finally, 


4. Favorite Quotations


In the first four weeks of the projects, I will simply quotes my favorite lines from the book. Later on, I will go back and analyze those quotes and what they mean to the characters in the novel, as well as why I liked them!


I have divided the book into quarters and will analyze one fourth for each of the first four weeks in the above format. Then, for the second half of the project, I will be rereading the novel and focusing on different aspects of the novel as it relates to my own life. Every post for the last four weeks of the project will be divided into three parts: 


1. My Thoughts and Feelings


This is where I will rant about what each part of the book made me feel, what my feelings and thoughts are about each section, and what I've taken away from each part. 

2. Applications to Vocation


Here, I will discuss the lessons and instructions I can take away from the book and apply to my future! This includes my vocation as a mother and teacher, as well as my own womanhood.  

3. Favorite Quotations


Finally, I will revisit my favorite quotations from each section of the book and discuss them in terms of the book as a whole, why they are important to the characters, and why they stuck out to me. I will also explore what these particular quotes have to say about my own life and why I liked them.

I hope y'all enjoy taking this adventure with me. I strongly recommend The Awakening to everyone, particularly women of all ages. If you decide to discover this book with me, I would love to hear your comments and thoughts as we go! 


- Kimmi